TUNA NICOISE BAGUETTE WITH BLACK OLIVE
Layers of freshly seared tuna and niçoise salad deliver big, bold flavours in this sensational make-ahead baguette.
- 250 g tuna steaks
- 1 baguette, cut in half and hollowed out
For the marinade:
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- pinch of salt
- zest of 1 limes, finely grated
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
For the baguette filling:
- a good handful of green beans, blanched
- 3 eggs, boiled for 6 minutes
- extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- half cucumber, sliced
- 400 g tinned artichoke hearts, drained and sliced thickly
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp French dressing
- small bunch of chives
- 50 g pitted black olives
- 4 tinned anchovies
HOW TO COOK:
- Mix the fennel seeds, salt and lime zest together. Cut the tuna into thin fillets and rub the marinade all over the fillets. Cover and place in the refrigerator until required.
- Smear a large frying pan with the vegetable oil and place over a high heat until the pan is smoking. Add the tuna fillets to the hot pan one at a time, and cook briefly, until all the sides are sealed and blackened. Once this is done, place the fillets on a tray and refrigerate.
- Assemble the baguette. Layer all the filling ingredients and seared tuna slices into the baguette, seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzling with a little of the French dressing as you go. Replace the top and wrap the baguette tightly with cling film. Chill in the refrigerator overnight with a weight on top if possible.
- Cut into thick slices and serve.